NSW Office Of Sport Update Friday 8 October, 2021
Following announcements over the past 48 hours regarding changes to restrictions from Monday 11 October 2021, the Public Health (COVID-19 General) Amendment (No 1) Order 2021 has now been published.
The Office of Sport will continue to liaise with NSW Health regarding the roadmap and changes to restrictions that govern the sport and recreation sector.
Further advice will be provided to the sector should amendments to the PHO be made over the weekend.
Outdoor Sport and Exercise Gatherings Sizes remains at 20 people
- The limits for outdoor sport and exercise gatherings (Clause 2.13) remains at 20 fully vaccinated people (or children under 16 years of age).
- Clause 2.2. has been amended to allow indoor pools to conduct swimming classes, lap swimming, squad training or rehabilitation activities only.
- NSW Health has advised that the maximum gathering size for a group activity or class at an indoor pool is 20 people (consistent with indoor recreation facilities).
- Public swimming pools (both outdoors and indoors, but not natural swimming pools) in the general area will need to use the updated Gyms and indoor recreation COVID-19 safety plan
- Public swimming pool operators will need to take reasonable steps to ensure all people aged 16 and over on the premises are fully vaccinated or have a medical exemption (including staff, volunteers, visitors and contractors).
- Guidance for businesses is available at: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-
19/businesses-and-employment/ covid-safe-business/ vaccination-compliance-for- businesses
- Clause 6.5A has been added, stating that a person must not enter or leave Greater Sydney without a reasonable excuse. Under Clause 6.5A(2)b), this clarifies that exercise or outdoor recreation does not classify as a reasonable excuse.
- Clause 6.6 has been amended to state that people cannot travel outside of Greater Sydney for a holiday or to undertake recreation.
- Clause 2.18 (4A) has been added to enable a person that lives outside Greater Sydney, Central Coast Wollongong and Shellharbour LGAs to work at a premises detailed in Clause 2.18 if they have received one dose of the COVID-19 vaccination.
- This clause expires on 1 November 2021 (i.e. worker will need to be fully vaccinated from 1 November onwards).
We have received numerous requests seeking information and guidance about the enforcement of vaccination compliance.
The Department of Customer Service has a dedicated page outlining information for businesses and organisations: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-
Of note, the following advice on the website may assist clubs and associations about what to do if a person attending their gathering refuses to provide proof of vaccination: