The Minister for sport, Mr. Hon John Sidoti MP was pleased to support the 2019 NSW Community Sports Awards, which recognizes the outstanding achievements and contributions to community Sport across NSW. In his address to the attendees at Parliament House on Thursday 20th June which highlighted his thoughts.
- Sport plays an integral role in the lives of Australians.
- Over 90% of Australian adults have an active interest in sport, with in excess of 8 million adults and 3 million children participating in sport each year.
- On a National level, the Sport sector employs more than 220,000 people, who are supported by nearly 2 million volunteers.
- In NSW, the sport sector is a network of public, private and not-for-profit providers.
- Most are membership-based and dependent on the valuable contribution of its volunteers, with sport being the common denominator in bringing people together.
- Sport has the ability to deliver life-long friendships, establish healthy lifestyles, strengthen communities and generally make for a better quality of life.
- The NSW Community Sports Awards recognized the substantial and valuable contribution of individuals, clubs and organizations.
- We appreciated all who share their knowledge to help others, often working tirelessly week in and week out.
- I extend my congratulations to all of the award nominees and finalists, and thank everyone for their continued efforts and contribution to sport in NSW.
Carolyn Campbell, the Chairperson of Sport NSW (The Voice of Sport) acknowledged the support of their valued partners, without whom the NSW community sports awards program would not be possible.
Master of Ceremonies: Shannon Byrne (who was also a judge), with more than ten years’ experience in broadcasting as a reporter and commentator for radio and TV covering the 2012 & 2016 Olympic Games & the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, as well as many more, did a great job of MC on the night.
Archery NSW wishes to congratulation and thank Elizabeth Jennison. Her time, hard work and guidance in archery over the last 40 years has be invaluable and has helped archery be where it is today.
A word from Elizabeth:
My thanks to the Committee of Warringah Archers Inc for nominating me for this award, supported by ArcheryNSW. With fellow officers joining me on the night (Leanne Spencer / Roland Ware & Alan Nolan).
There has been a lot of change in the sport of Archery over the last 40 years, with some gains & losses along the way. There have been many memorable achievements, both in administration & competition, but the friendships that I have made, the challenges the sport presents to it’s committee members, is something that I enjoy being involved in.
Thank you Elizabeth!
Posted on 26 Jun 2019